Ten Commandments For Responsible Pet Owners ... As Told From
A Pet's Perspective
- 1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will
be very painful
- Give me time to understand what you want from me.
- Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.
- Don't be angry with me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment. You
have your work, your friends, your entertainment. I have only you.
- Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice
when it's speaking to me.
- Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget it.
- Before you hit me, remember that I have teeth that could easily crush your
bones in your hand, but I choose not to bite you.
- Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if
something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I've
been out in the sun too long, or my heart may be getting old and weak.
- Take care of me when I get old. You too will grow old.
- Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say," I can't bear to watch it,
"or Let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier for me if you
Remember I love you.
- Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals of Texas